You are here

Current Student FAQs

State Authorization Regarding Online and Distance Education Information

Prospective and Current Students: Please read the following carefully to determine whether you may enroll in an online course, program, certificate, or degree.

The University of Colorado must be authorized, exempted, or licensed by each state to offer its online programs to non-Colorado resident students.

In February 2015, the University’s three institutions became participants in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) initiative. Operating under NC-SARA allows the University’s campuses to offer online programs to students who are residents of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

The University is exempt from authorization and may enroll students who are residents of California, Hawaii, Kentucky*, Florida, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina*, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Restrictions on Enrollment and Activity: Connecticut, Delaware, D.C., Kentucky, and North Carolina

Students living in Connecticut, Delaware, or D.C. cannot enroll in any online course, program, certificate, or degree offered by the University. The University is currently not authorized or exempted from authorization to provide online education in these states.

* Prospective and current students cannot enroll in or satisfy any component in a course, program, certificate, or degree that requires them to participate in an internship, field experience, or any activity that would physically occur on-the-ground in either Kentucky or North Carolina.

Please check back in the future to see whether the University may offer online education in your state.

Professional Licensure Disclosure

Prospective and current students interested in courses, programs, certificates, or degrees that lead to professional licensure must understand their state licensing board’s requirements prior to enrolling. Click here for more information.
Students are advised to contact the state authorization compliance specialist about information regarding their specific state of current or intended residence.


How do I add a class after registration?

If you wish to add a course after submitting the original registration form, email your request to You can also contact Enrollment Service Specialists at Continuing Education for the Add/Drop Petition voucher. After completing the upper part of the voucher, please sign and fax it to 303 492 5335.

How do I drop a course?

Students may drop themselves from a course through the student portal, MyCUInfo, until the first drop deadline. Please refer to the Be Boulder Anywhere Academic Calendar for drop deadlines and the fees and tuition charges that may apply. Dropping a course after the drop deadline date will result in a 40% or 60% tuition assessment going into effect. 

If you wish to drop a course after submitting the original registration form, email your request to You can also contact Enrollment Service Specialists at Continuing Education for the Drop Petition voucher. After completing the upper part of the voucher, please sign and fax it to 303.492.5335. If you are dropping a course after the drop deadline and are able to receive a tuition assessment, you must also complete the bottom half of the voucher. Be sure to contact Enrollment Service Specialists to confirm receipt of the voucher. 

Please consult with your instructor about possible alternatives, such as extending deadlines or taking an incomplete, before dropping a course.

Special Note for Maryland Residents

What is my Student ID?

When you register for courses at the University of Colorado Boulder for the first time, you are assigned a Student ID (SID) to use in place of your social security number. Your SID is mailed to you. Safeguard and memorize the number as you will use it frequently to obtain your student information throughout your time as a CU student. Your SID is your permanent ID record for your duration as a student at CU-Boulder.

What is my IdentiKey?

The university uses the IdentiKey as a secure access method. The IdentiKey consists of a CU login name and unique password. Activating your IdentiKey is required in order to use the MyCUInfo student portal, the Desire2Learn (D2L) course management tool, the CU email system, the computer labs on campus, and to access the computer network remotely. If you are registering for courses at CU-Boulder for the first time or have not been enrolled for more than one semester, you will need to activate your IdentiKey. To activate or reset your IdentiKey, go to and click on the 'Activate Your IdentiKey' button. The button is located next to the red arrow on the left hand side of the page. Please note that if you are a new student, it may take up to 24 hours from the time of your registration before you can activate your IdentiKey. For assistance with login procedures or activating your account, contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT) help desk at 303 735 4357 or

Why do I need a CU email account?

The university, your instructors, and Be Boulder Anywhere will communicate with you via your email account. It is essential that you activate your email account in order to receive current announcements about your class(es), course changes, new course offerings, changes in processes, procedures, or policies, and news and events. See to set up your email account. 

Students may choose to redirect all university email to a different email account at their discretion. For assistance with this process, please contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT) at 303 735 4357 or

What is a 'course management system'?

Instructors use various course management systems. Desire2Learn is used most often, although you may encounter others, depending on the course. This system contains course materials, asynchronous discussion boards, assignments, a grade book, course calendar, and other features utilized by the instructors. There are no additional fees to access D2L. Contact your instructor to determine which course management system he/she uses.

How do I access Desire2Learn (D2L)?

You must register for your course before you can obtain access to Desire2Learn (D2L). If you are a new student, your IdentiKey must be activated prior to accessing D2L. To activate you IdentiKey, go to and click on 'Activate your IdentiKey'. Please note, if you are a new student, allow up to 24 hours after activating your IdentiKey before trying to register.

Once you have activated your IdentiKey, you will be able to access D2L within 24 hours. Log in to D2L at or

For assistance with login procedures or activating your account, contact Information Technology Services at 303 735 4357 or

How do I order my texts for class?

It is the student's responsibility to order and purchase the required texts and/or software for each of their courses. 

The course descriptions on the course schedule pages list tentative class texts and notes. Please note that this information is subject to change. Call the CU Book Store three weeks prior to classes to confirm the final text(s) and to place your order. The suggested time of 3 weeks allows includes the amount of time it should take your shipment to arrive. Payment can be made by company purchase order, personal check, VISA, Mastercard, or American Express. 

Contact the CU Book Store.

What if I need to take a semester off from study?

All degree-seeking students who wish to take a semester off must apply for a leave of absence for the Fall or Spring semesters. Graduate Students who do not apply will be withdrawn and must reapply (and pay the confirmation deposit) to the university in order to return to CU-Boulder. Learn more about the leave of absence process on the Registrar's Website.

If you are called to military active duty, refer to the Registrar’s Office Procedures for Students Ordered to Active Duty webpage for more information.

Graduate nondegree students make take 3 consecutive semesters off with no penalty or repercussions. If it has been longer, complete the Online Enrollment Application or download the Enrollment Registration PDF and fax, mail, or deliver it in person to Continuing Education. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. If approved, you will receive a student identification number to activate your Identikey and search/enroll in courses via MyCUInfo.

What is CCNA certification?

The Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification is an internationally recognized indicator of the networking skills that an individual possesses. Individuals who have earned this certificate are capable of designing and configuring mid-size corporate networks according to the specific needs. This course covers the theory behind networking models for local and wide area networks, and is complemented with a series of hands-on exercises and tools that will exemplify real-world conditions. The class at CU is not sponsored or endorsed by Cisco. However, it covers concepts that are necessary to obtain the experience and knowledge necessary for the CCNA certification.

How do I access the campus facilities?

Distance degree and non-degree students taking courses for credit may purchase a BuffOne Card (student ID) and a student fees package, which includes access to the following services:

  • Student Recreation Center
  • Wardenburg Health Center
  • RTD Bus PAss
  • Career Services
  • Distance degree students can receive discounted CU event tickets, including athletics tickets

For immediate access to campus facilities, call the Division of Continuing Education at 303.492.2216 to obtain an 'all fees paid' sticker (they will have the most up-to-date rate information). Once you have purchased the sticker, you may get your Buff OneCard from the Buff One office in the Center For Community (C4C) for $25. Be sure to bring your photo ID.

Alternatively, distance degree and non-degree students may wish to use their own photo ID in place of the Buff OneCard. Call Continuing Education at 303.492.2216 to obtain a 'no fee paid' sticker to attach to your own photo ID.

How do I access the university computer network and computer labs?

For any computer or lab access, you will need to activate your IdentiKey. 

You are given free access to Net News and FTP as well as access to other UNIX software if it is needed for your course(s). Contact Information Technology Services (ITS) at 303 735 4357 or for assistance. 

Computer hardware and software requirements are listed in the course descriptions. You must purchase specific licensed software, e.g. MATLAB, if needed for the course. If you cannot gain access to required software or hardware, please contact the instructor to determine if alternative arrangements can be made. Software can be purchased at a discounted rate through the Buffalo Chip computer software store within the CU Book Store at 303 492 3431. To receive a student discount, you must show that the software is required for the course and that you are registered for the course through Be Boulder Anywhere. Your registration receipt should be used as proof. 

There is no charge for student access to the engineering computer lab, room ECCR 252, located on the second floor of the Engineering Center. However, you will need a Buff OneCard to print and charges will apply.

How do I access the CU-Boulder library?

There is no charge for student access to the university libraries. Your Buff OneCard or any photo ID will serve as your library card. In order to access materials from the university libraries online, visit the library website and view instructions for remote access.

How do I get a university catalog?

The University of Colorado Boulder catalog is available online only. The university catalog contains important information for graduate degree students, such as the Graduate School rules and policies.

Can I receive career advice?

Career Services provides career exploration, internship and job search, and career counseling among other resources to help you attain your personal and professional goals. Start by exploring the options available on their website.

How do I know what jobs are out there?

To help you figure out which positions and skill sets are most in demand and best for you, the Department of Labor maintains the O*Net Web site, which has a vast database of information about jobs within each industry. It shows which are in highest demand, what kind of training, work experience and education are typical for each position, the expected salary and other information. There is even a way to search for jobs by required skills (e.g., skills of persuasion, knowledge of systems analysis, fluency in Excel etc.).

How do I return defective or damaged media?

If you receive defective or damaged media for your lecture(s), please contact us via e-mail. Include all of the following pertinent information in the body of your email message:

  • Student Name
  • Student ID (last 4 digits)
  • Phone Number
  • Course Number(s)
  • Course Title(s)
  • Air Date(s)
  • Lecture or Session Number(s)
  • Reason for the Request
  • How would you like the replacement media delivered to you (e.g., pick-up at Be Boulder Anywhere, UPS, FedEx)?

How do I Audit a Class?

Certain individuals who are not registered students may be able to audit regularly scheduled classes with an audit card. Auditors must get permission from the professor to audit a class prior to purchasing the audit card. For more information, visit Community Auditor Registration or contact the Division of Continuing Education at 303-492-5148.

Colorado residents aged 55 or older, visit CU-Boulder Alumni Association for information about the senior auditor program. 

Individuals may not audit library courses.

How do I file a complaint?

Online and Distance Education Student Compliant Resolution

Online and distance education students may file a complaint by following the campus complaint procedure to internally resolve grievances. Students who have exhausted opportunities for resolution and are unsatisfied with their resolution may file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education. Additionally, students residing outside of Colorado may file a complaint with their state agency

Any prospective or enrolled student may request a copy of a campus's accreditation and state approval documents. Complaints relating to the University's institutional quality may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission

Share This Page